January 29, 2013 § 1 Comment
While investigations continue to incarceration of all other accomplices of the gang, the populations of Mimboman and its surroundings have not hide their relief.
The news of the arrest of alleged perpetrators of a series of ritual murders that have hit the chronic Mimboman neighborhood (and vicinity) to Yaoundé , spread a few days ago, like a wildfire across the Capital City, to the delight of the people who had almost lost sleep. But the day before yesterday morning, in the early hours of the day, Yaoundéens have once again been frightened
by rumors of the arrest by the elements of the gendarmerie Nkoabang in a road checkpoint, a lady carrying a bag full of children’s heads. Despite the formal denial of the sub-prefect of the city, and details of the brigade commander who both spoke of false allegations, the spectrum of psychosis hovered throughout the said day in the city.
Fear over the city
This we are told is the reason which would have caused the reaction spokesman Issa Bakary Tchiroma government.
Indeed, according to our sources, the government might well have ignored the case of the arrest of criminals of Mimboman, not to strengthen the sense of fear among the population, but also and especially to not disturb the progress of the investigation.
According to eyewitness accounts, it was after a long investigation by the Commissioner Evina and elements of the 4th district police, supported by the police brigades of research and Emombo Nkolmesseng, the police and security would have fallen on 04 young Cameroonians: 03 men (the age varies between 18 and 23 years) and a girl named Martine, Virginia. At the end of the exploitation of suspects allegedly confessed complete, said forces would after raids, carried out the arrest of 20 other accomplices of the gang, who already meditate their fate to the central prison in Yaoundé, pending trial.
- Mimboman,now a dead zone in Yaounde (lebs295.wordpress.com)
- City panicked by wave of suspected ritual killings (cnn.com)
- Families keep daughters in after 18 young women mutilated and murdered in Yaounde, Cameroon (thisismoney.co.uk)
January 1, 2012 § 1 Comment
(CNN) — For the second year in a row, dozens of blackbirds died overnight Saturday in Beebe, Arkansas, apparently after being startled by New Year‘s Eve fireworks, an official with the state’s Game and Fish Commission said Sunday.
Tests will be conducted to determine the official cause of death, said Ginny Porter with the Arkansas Game and Fish commission. Porter said between 50 and 80 birds were reported dead.
Beebe, about 40 miles northeast of Little Rock, is an area through which the birds migrate and is home to a large roost. The fireworks set off Saturday were located near the south side of the roost, according to Porter. Blackbirds have poor night vision and do not typically fly at night, according to the game commission.
A much larger birdkill was reported in Beebe last New Year’s Eve when about 5,000 birds were found dead in a square-mile area. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma after the otherwise-healthy birds became disoriented and flew into stationary objects such as trees and buildings.
September 29, 2011 § 2 Comments
Eyewitnesses told CNN the gunmen, wearing military uniforms, blocked the busy Wouri Bridge brandishing signs reading “Biya Must Go” and “We Want The Dictator Out.”
President Paul Biya has been in power in the West African nation for nearly 30 years. His decision to seek another seven-year term in the October 9 election has sparked unrest, and observers have warned that his expected victory might bring post-election violence.
The state media, CRTV, reported that five gunmen had been captured and no civilian had been injured. One of the gun men plunged into the river, it said. His fate was unclear.
We are not happy with the Biya regime and we want him out by all costs
A Cameroon youth
There is a heavy presence of the military in the strategic Wouri area. The 5,900-foot-long bridge carries both road and rail traffic and is estimated to be used by nearly 40,000 people a day.
“This is a warning for the campaigners for Mr. Biya. They must accept what is right or go with the wind of change,” Collins Ntar, a fruit seller, told CNN.
An angry youth who would not give his name told CNN, “We are not happy with the Biya regime and we want him out by all costs.”
Campaigns have officially kicked off in all regions, though at a snail’s pace. The 22 opposition candidates to challenge Biya say there is a slow disbursement of money from the government to fund their campaign rallies.
In 2008, Biya erased term limits from the constitution. That move, coupled with rocketing food prices, fueled anti-government riots that human rights groups, cited by the U.S. State Department, say killed approximately 100 people. The government of Cameroon put the number of deaths at 40.
- Cameroon opposition leader says other parties are ‘maggots’ (lebs295.wordpress.com)
- Douala PaniGunmen blockade Wouri Bridge,10 days to Election (erasmodelavega.wordpress.com)
- Armed Cameroon protestors ask President Paul Biya to go (vanguardngr.com)
- Gunmen blockade Cameroon bridge ahead of election (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
March 15, 2011 § 4 Comments
Osaka (CNN) — In Hiroshima, recent images of razed villages and burning shells of buildings in Japan‘s quake-damaged northeast are recalling painful memories of a time sixty-five years ago when an atomic bomb created similar effects in their town.
But it is the less visual aspect of this disaster the threat of nuclear fallout that has activists in Hiroshima sounding the call for a change in Japan’s approach to its supply of electricity.
“It’s like the third atomic bomb attack on Japan,” said Keijiro Matsushima, an 82-year-old survivor of the atomic bombing at Hiroshima. “But this time, we made it ourselves.”
Japan has 54 nuclear power plants nationwide, and about one-third of its electricity comes from nuclear energy. When many of these plants were built, they were designed to be in operation for thirty years, but as Japanese power companies face increasing public resistance to the construction of new plants, these plants will be operating for forty to fifty years, says Akira Tashiro.
Tashiro, a Hiroshima newspaper journalist, has specialized in stories related to nuclear energy and the effects of radiation for over 30 years. His employer, The Chugoku Shimbun, actively advocates for the elimination of nuclear weapons and has a tradition of reports that focus on issues related to nuclear power.
“This might be a good turning point,” Tashiro said about the concern over damaged nuclear plants in northeastern Japan. Tashiro is calling for the Japanese government to increase their investment in research of renewable energy resources.
“I hope Hiroshima will take a lead on this because of our own experience with the atomic bomb,” he said.
Matsushima, the bomb survivor, is worried about the people exposed to the radiation in recent days, but doesn’t see long-term viable alternatives to nuclear energy. “Unfortunately, this is a small country. Japan doesn’t have much energy. It may be a necessary evil.”
Shoji Kihara, of the Citizens’ Nuclear Information Center, believes the Japanese government is not being fully forthcoming with information about the risks facing people close to the affected nuclear plants.
“Survivors of the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki have lived their whole lives worrying about their health, and these people will have to live the same way.” Kihara’s parents and siblings are survivors of the atomic bomb.
Kihara has written a letter to the Chugoku Power Company and asked them to suspend their plans to build a new nuclear power plant at Kaminoseki, about 80 kilometers (50 miles) from Hiroshima. He has written many letters to the power company over the years about this project, but he says he is optimistic that this will be his last.
Matsushima also believes this crisis will prove a turning point for the country as a whole. “Perhaps Japan can’t get along without nuclear power stations in the future. But Japanese power companies will have a harder time building new nuclear power plants from now on.”
- Japan earthquake and tsunami: Chilling echoes of Hiroshima’s destruction (dailymail.co.uk)
- Japan Anti Nuclear Groups Should Not Have Been Ignored (socyberty.com)
- MILITARY INTELLIGENCE on THE NEW HIROSHIMA Capt May (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- USS Ronald Reagan Dodges Japanese Fallout (swampland.blogs.time.com)
- Quake creates biggest nuclear threat since Hiroshima (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Japan earthquake: Ruins rekindle memories of atom bomb (telegraph.co.uk)
- Visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial in Street View (google-latlong.blogspot.com)
March 13, 2011 § Leave a comment
Gadhafi forces retake rebel town, state TV claims
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) — Libyan state TV reported Sunday that the opposition-held town of al-Brega had been “been cleansed from the criminal gangs and mercenaries, the area is now safe, and all citizens should go back to their work and their normal life.”
Forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi have been fighting to recapture towns from the rebels since an uprising began last month.
Opposition leaders in Benghazi confirmed to CNN that their forces have left al-Brega but they are calling their move a “tactical retreat.”
The military has been pounding the key oil port of Ras Lanuf, once in the hands of rebel forces, and has taken control of towns such as nearby Bin Jawad. The Gadhafi government appears intent on retaking all territory from the opposition despite growing international pressure.
The Arab League voted Saturday to back a no-fly zone “to protect the civilian population” in Libya, the body’s secretary-general Amre Moussa said.
“We will inform the U.N. Security Council of our request to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya,” Moussa said. “The U.N. Security Council should decide how it will be enforced.”
Also on Saturday, an Al-Jazeera cameraman was killed in an apparent ambush near Benghazi, Libya, becoming the first journalist killed in the country since the start of the civil war, the network reported.
Ali Hassan al Jaber was returning to Benghazi, an opposition stronghold in the east, from a nearby town where he had reported on an opposition protest when “unknown fighters opened fire on a car he and his colleagues were traveling in,” Al-Jazeera reported on its English-language website.
The cameraman and another person were wounded. Al Jaber was rushed to a hospital, but did not survive, the network said.
“Al-Jazeera condemns the cowardly crime, which comes as part of the Libyan regime’s malicious campaign targeting Al-Jazeera and its staff,” the network reported.
The no-fly zone which the Arab League is calling for would be a preventive measure and would have to be stopped immediately when the Libyan crisis ends, Youssef bin Alawi bin Abdullah, Oman’s foreign minister said in a joint appearance with Moussa.
Arab League members have reservations about military intervention, but said all countries agreed that a no-fly zone must be imposed urgently to protect civilians, bin Abdullah said.
“We hope the Libyan authorities will respect a no-fly decision,” he said. “Be assured the Arab countries will not accept the intervention of the NATO coalition.”
Moussa said the league also voted to open channels of communication with the Transitional National Council, the Libyan opposition’s newly formed administration, and that any talks with that body would be on a humanitarian basis.
“We are giving them legitimacy but we’re not giving them political recognition,” Moussa said. “We are prepared to help evacuate any Arab nationals from Libya regardless of their nationality.”
The Arab League also called for immediate humanitarian assistance and an end to the bloodshed in Libya, where civil war has broken out between forces loyal to Gadhafi and a tenacious opposition movement.
The White House cheered the League’s announcements and stressed it will continue to pressure Gadhafi, support the opposition and prepare for “all contingencies.”
Opposition forces made strides in the early days of the rebellion, but Gadhafi’s military has recently gained strong momentum.
The League was meeting at its headquarters in Cairo, while hundreds of demonstrators outside urged the international community to step up support for Libyan opposition groups.
Pleading for international help as they continue to lose ground to pro-Gadhafi forces, rebels are asking for a no-fly zone that would theoretically thwart airstrikes.
No-fly zones are areas where aircraft are not allowed to fly. Such zones were put in place after the Gulf War in southern and northern Iraq as a check on the forces of the late Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.
Western powers have said any action by the international community, including a no-fly zone, would have to have regional support and a clear mandate from the United Nations.
U.S. President Barack Obama said Friday that he “won’t take (the) decision lightly” on whether to use military force, including helping to enforce a no-fly zone, saying it is critical to “balance costs versus benefits.”
While France has recognized the National Transitional Council as the sole representative of the Libyan people, the European Union was more restrained Friday, saying it “welcomes and encourages the interim transitional national council based in Benghazi, which it considers a political interlocutor.”
The Libyan government on Saturday took journalists to the eastern city of Bin Jawad, where the government ousted rebels about a week ago.
CNN’s Nic Robertson said he saw fighter jets in the sky but he didn’t see them engage in strikes.
He saw some structural damage, such as a blown-out police station and damage to a school and houses, including a Katyusha rocket embedded in the wall of a house. Some stores were closed and others had been looted.
CNN’s Yousuf Basil and Reza Sayah and journalist Mohamed Fadel Fahmy contributed to this report.
Source : CNN
- Arab League Urges Libya ‘No-Fly’ Zone (online.wsj.com)
- Arab League asks UN for Libya no-fly zone (msnbc.msn.com)
- “Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone in Libya, report” and related posts (yalibnan.com)
- Gadhafi pushes ahead as Arab League debates help (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Arab League calls for Libya no-fly zone (marketwatch.com)
- Libyan rebels lose oil port, but vow to regroup (sfgate.com)
- Libyan rebels lose oil port, but vow to regroup (salon.com)
- Libyan rebels lose oil port, but vow to regroup (boston.com)
- LIBYA: Al Jazeera Cameraman Murdered Near Benghazi, As Qaddafi’s Forces Continue Rampage (businessinsider.com)
- Arab League Backs No-Fly Zone in Libya (newser.com)