When wives are set on fire for their dowry
At least 249 women were killed in 2010. Out of anger or vengeance, husbands throw kerosene on their wives and set them on fire. The problem is widespread despite the fact that Islamic law, which is in place in Bangladesh, requires would-be husbands to pay a price for their future wives[…]
Under the existing dowry system, a bride’s family must pay her future groom a sum of money. The practice first appeared some 50 years ago. Before that, would-be husbands had to pay instead a ‘bride price’ to the woman’s family in accordance with Islamic law. The change appears to be the result of an imbalance in the country’s demography, as there were more women than men of marriageable age at that time. For example in 1950, the population of women of marriageable age was 10 per cent more than that of eligible men; by 1975, the percentage had risen to 43.
However, men do not necessarily demand a dowry before marriage; in some cases, they do it afterwards to assert their authority over their wives when the latter do not obey. Violence can ensue in a number of situations in a society where tradition places the husband in a position of superiority.[Emphasis mine..ed]
Not all families are willing or financially capable of paying a dowry for their daughters, a situation that some husbands see as an insult that calls for vengeance.
This kind of tragedy occurs in both big cities and small villages, among upper middle classes as well as the poor. A few months ago for instance, a university professor was killed over her dowry.
Note: No Qu’ran was burned…just sayin..
Source: Jawa Report
- Dowry Deaths in India (mixingplatforms.wordpress.com)
- Dowry : An Islamic Perspective (brighthub.com)
- >Majority of dowry cases are false: SP (jsgoria.wordpress.com)
- Dowry wars: The big issue that has India divided (independent.co.uk)
- Voice of The Campaign at William Mason High School, U.S.A. (genderbytes.wordpress.com)
- Honor Killings and Infanticides: Attacks on Muslim Women! (erasetheneed.wordpress.com)
- Revolutionary Women’s (MLM) Movement Formed in Bangladesh (robertlindsay.wordpress.com)
- Divorce is on the rise in India, but archaic laws leave women of all classes cast aside (theglobeandmail.com)
- Violence in Bangladesh over new equality law (thecagegilded.wordpress.com)
- Take The ‘War on Dowry’ Pledge! (genderbytes.wordpress.com)