Afghan insurgent eyed as ringleader
An Afghan insurgent from one of the country’s hotbeds of militancy is thought to be the ringleader of a bloody attack Friday on a United Nations compound as hundreds protested the purported burning of a Koran by a Florida pastor.
At least 11 people, including seven foreigners, were killed in the storming of the U.N. compound in the northern Afghanistan city of Mazar-i-Sharif. Two of the foreigners were beheaded, Reuters reported[Emphasis mine..ed]
The demonstration in Mazar-i-Sharif turned violent when some protesters grabbed weapons from the U.N. guards and opened fire, then mobbed buildings and set fires on the compound, officials said. Demonstrators also massed in Kabul and the western city of Herat for peaceful demonstrations.
Afghan authorities announced the arrest of more than 20 people, including a militant from Kapisa province who they suspect was the ringleader of the assault, said Rawof Taj, deputy provincial police chief. Further information about the suspects wasn’t immediately available.[…]
U.N. peacekeeping chief Alain LeRoy said the top U.N. envoy in Afghanistan, Staffan De Mistura, who is in Mazar-i-Sharif, believes “the U.N. was not the target.”
“They wanted to find an international target and the U.N. was the one there in Mazar-i-Sharif,” LeRoy told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York.ROPMA
Source: Jawa Report.
I will admit that Islam is becoming something else in the World. Beheading non-Islamic!?!? hmm there’s something seriously going wrong.
- Afghan Riots Spread Over Quran Burning (online.wsj.com)
- UN envoy describes deadly attack on Afghan compound (ctv.ca)
- UN Envoy Details How Employees Were Killed During Quran Burning Protest In Afghanistan (huffingtonpost.com)
- Taliban uses burned Quran as weapon (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- U.N. Workers Hid to Escape Afghan Protestors (foxnews.com)
- UN envoy: Workers killed running from bunker (boston.com)
- UN envoy: UN workers killed running from bunker (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- UN envoy: UN workers killed running from bunker (sfgate.com)
- You: UN envoy in Afghanistan gives harrowing account of how 7 UN workers killed (washingtonpost.com)
- UN envoy: UN workers killed running from bunker (foxnews.com)